Wednesday, July 7, 2010

DIY: Banana hair mask


I recently came across this hair mask after watching The Doctors. They had a segment about using natural products for your skin and hair. I've tried everything they mentioned, except the banana hair mask. It's great for strengthening dry and damaged hair. I've been outside a lot, therefore my hair has a lot of sun damage.

"Bananas contain tryptophan, a rich amino acid that is known to be extremely beneficial for hair and skin. They are chock full of potassium which adds super softening properties to the hair shaft. Along with vitamins A, B, C and E bananas contain rich natural oils and carbohydrates. All these goodies shore up the natural elasticity of the hair and prevents split ends."
Source: http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip937.htm

I'm about to try it right now, because I have 2 bananas that have turned black and I don't want to throw them away. Also it's that time in the week when my hair needs to be washed!

Let's get started.

Materials and Ingredients:
* 2 ripe bananas
* 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
* 1 tablespoon of olive oil
* Blender
* Spatula/spoon
* Tupperware container

Directions:

Step 1: Put the peeled bananas into the blender. Puree until smooth and all lumps are gone. The consistency should be creamy.

Step 2: Add the mayonnaise and olive oil. Blend until smooth.

Step 3: Pour the mixture into a Tupperware container.

** Depending on how much hair you have, you will have enough hair mask for one to four treatments. The rest of the mixture can be stored in the fridge.

Step 4: Apply the mixture on your hair before you shampoo. Leave the mask on for 15-30 minutes.

Let me know if any of you try this mask!


UPDATE:
The mask worked great!
Usually my hair stands up while it is wet, because of heat damage, but this time my hair was soft and no frizz!
I recommend everyone try this mask, preferably once every week. Although my hair is still wet, it is still soft and shiny.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting.
My hair has a lot of damage to it and I do
try alot of treatments,shampoo's and conditioners, but I never heard of this and im definitely going to try it out.
When I was little my mam actually use to
put mayo in my hair before applying shampoo,
people might find that strange to put mayo in your hair but its suppose to be really conditioning :)

Saudia K said...

Go for it! I just washed it out of my hair and shampooed regularly. My hair usually stands up (due to heat damage) from my crown when it's wet, but it didn't this time!

I say try it once a week :)
I heard using mayo was conditioning as well, so I'm not surprised it's in this recipe :)

Velma Williams said...

Hmm, i never really tried out some of the things they talk about in the show (i watch it all the time, I love it). Since you say it really works,m I might as well give some a try. :)

Post a Comment